PAUL’S LETTER TO THE ROMANS
What’s the big deal about Romans and why is it considered the greatest letter ever written? For my Book Club friends … why on earth would I want to teach through this book again?
- 15 – Romans 5:1-11. Do you feel that your relationship with God is perfect? If not, why not? (26 mins)
- 16 – Romans 5:12-19. What does Augustine’s doctrine of ‘original sin’ have to do with Romans 5? And why is Christ a better corporate solidarity than Adam? (27 mins)
- 14 – Romans 4,14-25. Let’s face it, Abraham really made a mess of things. What was God’s response? How does he view us when we screw up? (29 mins).
- 13 – Romans 4:1-13. Was Abraham the ancestor of the Jews only? Does God ‘impute’ Christ’s righteousness to our account as believers? No… and… no. (31 mins)
- 12 – Romans 3:24-31. Did God punish Christ because he was angry at sin? Or is their an alternative explanation? (30 mins)
- 11 – Romans 3:10-23. Why does Paul quote so many scriptures to prove that all men are sinful? Was he rambling or was he very skilful in his selection of texts? Many Protestant teachers tell us that, at salvation, Christ’s perfect righteousness is ‘imputed’ to us. Is that true? (35 mins)
- 10 – Romans 3:1-9. What advantage is there in being Jewish? Why do the translators try to conceal it? (30 mins)
- 09 – Romans 2:25-29. The Apostle concludes his rebuke of his Jewish brethren. He also has a little play on words which, perhaps, only he understood! (27 mins)
- 08 – Romans 2:17-24. Paul continues his defence of gentile equality in the New Covenant skilfully (despite some translational spin in our English Bibles). His subtle exposure of Jewish hypocrisy is sheer brilliance! (32 mins)
- 07 – Romans 2:13-15. Filling in the missing verses from Part 6. Why I think that the popular explanation of Romans 2:14 has been wrong for centuries! (33 mins)
- 06 – Romans 2:12 & 16. What is the basis upon which pagans and Orthodox Jews will be judged? Is sin really “missing the mark”? (31 mins)
- 05 – Romans 2:1-11. On what basis does God grant eternal life? Is it to those who believe in Jesus as their Saviour? Are you sure? (35 mins)
- 04 – Romans 1:18-32. What is the ultimate fate of those who choose to suppress the truth about God? What do they look like? (34 mins)
- 03 – Romans 1:8-17. The Apostle Peter wrote that some of Paul’s writings are “hard to understand” (2 Peter 3:16). Verses 8-15 are fairly straightforward. But after that, Romans starts to get a little bit tricky. (35 mins)
- 02 – Romans 1:1-7. What can we learn about Christ; about Paul, and about ourselves from the first seven verses of the epistle? (35 mins – sorry about the heckler)
- 01 – Introduction. Why did Paul write a letter to a church with whom he had no relationship? (30 mins)
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DIE?
If you’re a genuine follower of our Messiah, your eternal future is secure? But what about those who aren’t? Does the Bible explicitly teach that they will suffer eternal torment?
- 08 – Conclusion. Is there any possibility of redemption from Gehinnom? Why resurrect a soul from there, only to church that person into the lake of fire? (33 mins)
- 07 – Judgment. What’s it like in Gehinnom? Is it as bad as tradition portrays it? Do really evil folks get a worse time there than other? (32 mins)
- 06 – Eternity OT. What are the Hebrew expressions for ‘forever’? Does ‘forever and ever’ in the NT alway mean just that? Who will suffer torment ‘forever and ever’? How does it work? (23 mins)
- 05 – Eternity NT. There is one Greek word in the New Testament that is translated in English as ‘eternal, everlasting, forever’. But is that an accurate translation? In other words, does eternity ever end? (32 mins)
- 04 – Paradise. Jesus promised the thief on the cross that they would be in Paradise together that very day. That being the case, how is that the risen Christ could tell Mary on the Sunday morning that he had not yet ascended to his father? Where is Paradise anyway? (30 mins)
- 03 – She’ol. The Old Testament teaches that all the dead – righteous and wicked – go to she’ol at death to await resurrection. It’s commonly taught that Jesus emptied she’ol between his death and resurrection taking all the righteous souls to heaven with him. Is that what the Bible really teaches? (33 mins)
- 02 – Awake! In this instalment we conclude that the ‘soul sleep’ is not supported by the scriptures. But if the soul is conscious after death… where does it go? (34 mins)
- 01 – Common Christian Views. Examines the four most common Christian views on life after death. Do the scriptures teach the unconditional immortality of the human soul? (30 mins)
Celebrating Our Freedom in Christ
Teaching on our identity in Christ and guidelines for Christian living. Much of it shamelessly plagiarised from Neil Anderson, author and founder of Freedom in Christ Ministries.
- 10 – Discipleship. What are the three levels of Christian maturity? What challenges do we face at each level? (34 mins)
- 09 – Church Discipline. If there’s anywhere people should feel accepted it’s the Christian Church. But do we have to tolerate poor behaviour?
- 08 – Dealing with Rejection. There are three typical human responses to feeling rejected. None of them work, but which one do you tend to rely on? (26 mins)
- 07 – Healing Wounds from Our Past. As followers of Christ we have the power and ability to put even the most horrendous events from our past behind us. (32 mins)
- 06 – Gotta be Real to be Right. There are three ways to process our feelings, but only one of them is the right way. (34 mins)
- 05 – The Battle for Our Minds. What are ‘strongholds’? How do we get them and, more importantly, how do get rid of them? (31 mins)
- 04 – Keys. If physical needs are met, human beings strive after things like success, significance, peace and security. According to the Scriptures, every child of God can have these very things, if we define them Biblically. (35 mins)
- 03 – Goals. What is the difference between a godly goal and an ungodly goal? Why is the fear of the Lord the ‘beginning of wisdom’? (28 mins)
- 02 – As He Thinks… Understanding our identity is vital to our Christian conduct but what does it mean to ‘walk by faith’? (26 mins)
- 01 – Who Are You? Not as easy a question to answer as you may think! (29 mins)
Baptism 13 January 2019
I had the incredible privilege of baptising a couple of twenty-somethings today. Even better than that… I’ve known this precious pair since they were babies!
- But what’s the point in baptism anyway? (28 mins)
- Good Friday – Christian theologians have held a variety of views as to exactly how Messiah’s death saves us. The Old Testament contains many prophetic pictures (e.g. Passover). Here’s another one (25 mins).
- Where was Jesus born? Was it really in a ‘lowly cattle shed’? (19 mins)
What are the difficulties facing small rural churches today? Is there a solution? (35 mins)
- So what constitutes a proper order of service? The Tabernacle gives us some clues.
- 04 – Small Groups. Why are they important and what do they achieve? (27 mins)
- 03 – Purpose. Have I gone all Rick Warren-ish in my old age? No, that’s not what I spoke about. (33 mins)
- 02 – Corporate Prayer. Healthy churches pray when they get together. But what’s the best way to go about it? (29 mins)
- 01 – Why this Series? Statistically, around 340 churches will die in Australia this year. How did this come about? What are the signs of a dying church? (28 mins)
Gospel of the Kingdom
Jesus said “this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.” (Matthew 24;14). Is that the gospel that we have been preaching since the Reformation?
- 04 – Jesus the Messiah. Our ‘proofs’ for Jesus as the Messiah do not necessarily align with the Jewish expectations both in the first century and today. What exactly was Messiah supposed to do? How does that affect our presentation of the Gospel of the Kingdom. (35 mins)
- 03 – The Kingdom. What will it be like here on planet Earth after Messiah returns? (33 mins)
- 02 – History of the Gospel. How did the Christian Church lose the gospel? Is going to heaven when we die the goal or a fringe benefit? (29 mins)
- 01 – The Wheat and the Tares. Jesus knows the difference between unbelievers, false believers and his true followers. Which one are you? (25 mins)
An expository journey through the Old Testament Book of Zephaniah.
- 6 – Zephaniah 3:9-20. The final instalment and time for some good news. Verse 9 begins: For then I will restore…. But, when is ‘then’ and what will it be like? (25 mins)
- 5 – Zephaniah 3:1-8. More bad news. Not just for Israel but for gentile nations as well. (22 mins)
- 4 – Zephaniah 2:4-15. What will happen to Judah’s neighbours? In 2005 Israel was pressured into giving up the Gaza. Was this prophetically significant? (24 mins)
- 3 – Zephaniah 1:7 – 2:3. Judgment begins with God’s own. What happened to Judah? What will happen in the future? (25 mins)
- 2 – Zephaniah 1:1-6. A message of impending judgment. The passage lists six categories of people that God will judge – from amongst his own people! Make sure you’re not one of them. (24 mins)
- 1 – Introduction. Who was Zephaniah? Where and when did he prophesy? What was his message? Why should we care in 2018? (22 mins)
Leviticus chapter 23 is routinely ignored by Christians as being irrelevant. That’s a shame because this chapter of ancient instructions reveals God’s prophetic calendar for mankind.
- 15 – Sukkot. Why did this one last seven days? Why was there also a Sabbath on the eighth day? What has been the point in studying these ancient festivals? (30 mins)
- 14 – Yom Kippur 3. What about the two goats? Why was the goat for the Lord supposed to be as identical as possible to the goat for Azazel? And besides, why would a building need atonement? (32 mins)
- 13 – Yom Kippur 2. How will we know when we’re in the last of the last days? Will there be atonement(s) required after Messiah returns? (31 mins)
- 12 – Yom Kippur 1. What’s it all about Alfie? Why the multiple atonements? Didn’t the Messiah die for our sins at Passover? (29 mins)
- 11 – Rapture 3. Is there anywhere in the Bible that plainly tells us when the rapture will take place? As it happens, there is and it’s none other than our Lord who gies us the answer. (29 mins)
- 10 – Rapture 2. Does the timing of the rapture even matter? Does it impact the Gospel of the Kingdom? What is the Gospel of the Kingdom anyway?
- 9 – Rapture 1. There are more than half a billion Bible-based Christians in the world today. 61% of them believe that they will be raptured to heaven before Christ’s return in glory. Are they right or is it wishful thinking? (28 mins).
- 8 – Yom Teruah. It’s a prophetic picture of the next event on God’s Calendar. What does it represent and how close are we to its fulfilment? (29 mins)
- 7 – Shavuot. What do we celebrate at Shavuot (Pentecost)?. Is it the birth of the church? What exactly did God do between Calvary and the Upper Room?
- 6 – Bikkurim. Why was the firstfruits of the barley offered to the Lord? What does it symbolise? (24 mins).
- 5 – Chag Hamatzot. Unleavened bread deals with the problem of sin. But didn’t Jesus do that at Passover? What’s the point of it? (28 mins).
- 4 – Pesach Part Two. According to Romans 11:25 a partial blindness has come upon Israel. This is nowhere more evident than in the symbolism of Passover (31 mins).
- 3 – Pesach Part One. Why should we keep Passover (pesach)? Isn’t the Lord’s Supper more meaningful to us now? (31 mina)
- 2 – Shabbat. Why does keeping the Sabbath (shabbat) appear in the Ten Commandments along with prohibitions on murder and theft? What’s the big deal about it? And what is it’s prophetic significance anyway? As an aside, who changed Sabbath to Sunday? God or man? (36 mins)
- 1- Introduction. What are the mo’edim? Some Bibles translate this Hebrew word as ‘feasts’ or ‘festivals’. Why are they important to Christians? Why will Antichrist strive to replace them? In what way has the Christian Church paved the way for him? (35 mins)
Preaching through the New Testament Book of First Peter. Themes in this epistle include suffering and responsibilities. We live in an age of increasing persecution of Christians and in a culture that exalts rights over responsibilities. Perhaps this ancient epistle was written for such a time as this?
- 12 – 1 Peter 5:1-14. Peter describes himself as a ‘fellow elder’. Okay, so what do elders do? And what is the ‘true grace of God in which we stand?’ (30 mins).
- 11 – 1 Peter 4:12-19. When you are reviled for the name of Christ, what are the implications of that for you? What about for God? Why does Peter list being a “busybody” alongside murder and theft? (30 mins).
- 10 – 1 Peter 4:1-11. The apostle says that “he who has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin” (v. 1). Really? He also seems to say that the gospel was preached to dead people (v.6). What does he mean? (35 mins).
- 9 – 1 Peter 3:10-22. Why did Jesus preach to the spirits in prison? What spirits? What prison? And does baptism really save us? (29 mins).
- 8 – 1 Peter 3:1-9. What does the Apostle have to say to husbands and wives? Is male headship God’s plan? If so, why? (30 mins)
- 7 – 1 Peter 2:18-25. The New Testament says that Christ’s people can expect suffering and persecution. Peter says that we are ‘called to suffer’. How does that work? He also seems to imply that we are guaranteed healing through the suffering of Christ. That’s a popular belief but is that what Peter meant? (35 mins)
- 6 – 1 Peter 2:11-17. What does it mean to be a resident-stranger? As an aside, what exactly is the ‘soul’? Do animals have them? (34 mins)
- 5 – 1 Peter 2:1-10. What is a ‘spiritual sacrifice’? Why did Jesus keep the commandments perfectly? Why can’t Jews remain ‘in Moses’? (33 mins)
- 4 – 1 Peter 1:13-25. God judges each one’s work. How can our works be judged if we are saved by grace? What are we saved for anyway? (33 mins)
- 3 – 1 Peter 1:6-12. Mythbusters! Christians don’t have to suffer? Christ will rapture us to heaven before the tribulation? Busted! (32 mins)
- 2 – 1 Peter 1:1-5. What is the ‘hope reserved in heaven’ for us? Do we have to go there to get it? (30 mins)
- 1 – Introduction to First Peter (32 mins)
The Book of Ruth
An expository trip through the Old Testament Book of Ruth with an emphasis on its midrashic application for today.
- 8 – Ruth 4:1-22. The final chapter in the study. Why can’t the closer relative redeem Elimelech’s property? Why aren’t we told his name? What’s the messianic significance of the house of Perez? (22 mins).
- 7 – Ruth 3:12-18. Why do the Hebrew scrolls have an ‘oversized’ letter at the beginning of vers 13? Some translations say that Boaz gave Ruth ‘six ephahs’ of barley. But that would have been more than she could carry. What really happened? (23 mins)
- 6 – Ruth 3:1-11. What is the prophetic significance of Ruth’s encounter with Boaz at the threshing floor? The intellectuals and liberals claim that Ruth seduced Boaz that evening. Do you agree? (21 mins)
- 5 – Ruth 2:13-23. Ruth receives more grace from Boaz. What does she do with her abundance? Ruth and Naomi arrived in Bethlehem at the start of the barley harvest. Chapter two ends at the conclusion of the barley and wheat harvests. What’s the significance of those agricultural events? (24 mins)
- 4 – Ruth 2:1-12. Ruth encounters Boaz, the type of Christ. But who are the reapers in our Midrash? Why did Boaz order them to leave Ruth alone? (25 mins)
- 3 – Ruth 1:7-22. How did the three women respond to the visitation of the Lord? How will the people they represent respond in the future? (23 mins)
- 2 – Ruth 1:1-6. Most commentators recognise Boaz in the Book of Ruth as a prophetic picture of Christ. But what about Naomi, Ruth and Orpah? Are they also prophetic pictures? (24 mins)
- 1 – Introduction. Background to the Book of Ruth (25 mins)
Good Friday 2018
Or was it Good Thursday? When exactly did Jesus die?
Christmas Day 2017
When was Jesus really born and can we tell from the Scriptures? (23 mins).
A seven part series taking an in-depth look at 1 Corinthians 12:7-10, attempting to navigate a Scriptural path somewhere between the Conservative and Pentecostal positions.
- 7 – Tongues and Interpretation (38 mins)
- 6 – Prophecy and Discerning of Spirits (33 mins)
- 5 – Gifts of Healings (32 mins)
- 4 – Faith and Miracles (32 mins)
- 3 – Wisdom and Knowledge (12/3/17 – 38 mins)
- 2 – Filled with the Spirit? (30 mins)
- 1 – Spirit Baptism? (37 mins)
The Atonement: Did God really punish Christ for your sins and mine?
- Good Friday Message 2017 (28mins)
What should we do when we assemble together? Six part series.
- 6 – The Collection (43 mins)
- 5 – Communion/Lord’s Supper (34 mins)
- 4 – Worship (30 mins)
- 3 – Praise (29 mins)
- 2 – Early Church Activities (37 mins)
- 1 – Church… What is it? What’s if for? (26 mins – Note: Re-recorded with some audio missing due technical glitches)