THE BOOK OF RUTH
A midrashic look at the Book of Ruth, which reveals that only God could have written this account of the young woman and her older mother-in-law. Some of you in cyberland will note that I have taught through this book previously. I’m going through it again for my brothers and sisters at Deloraine as a precursor to taking a similar approach to the Book of Esther next time.
08 January 2023
- In Episode Seven we discovered that Boaz has a competitor. Who is this fellow and will he be theone to marry Ruth instead?
11 December 2022
- 08 Ruth 3:4b-18. Ruth follows Naomi’s instructions to the letter and ends up proposing marriage to the righteous Jew Boaz. That’s chutzpah – how will he respond?
27 November 2022
- 07 Ruth 3:1-4a. Ruth is going to meet Boaz at the threshing floor. What is the prophetic significance of that for us living more than three thousand years later?
23 October 2022
- 06 Ruth 2:13-23. Ruth gleans enough grain to take home a doggy bag for Naomi. The prophetic imagery is quite astonishing in today’s text. Also, what did Messiah mean by saying he was the source of living water in John 7:38?
2 October 2022
- 05 Ruth 2:8-12. Ruth has demonstrated chutzpah in her approached to Boaz. How will he respond to her boldness? Only five verses in today’s teaching… but we also went down a few rabbit trails!
11 September 2022
- 04 Ruth 1:18-2:7. Naomi has made t’shuvah and returned to Bethlehem with Ruth, the faithful daughter-in-law. It’s the prophetic picture of Israel’s return from exile. What’s the way forward for the two widowed women?
- 03 Ruth 1:7-17. In this episode we meet the other two main women in the early part of the book. Ruth is a picture of the faithful Christian church. But who is Orpah? And why is this section of Ruth critical for believers living in the last days? [Note: It was my turn to lead communion so that’s incorporated in the teaching – two birds with the one stone, as they say].
- 02 Ruth 1;1-6. Introducing some of the players and what the book of Ruth prophesies. CAUTION: I had a bit of a senior’s moment in the creation of this teaching! We have not yet investigated the woman after whom the book is named – Ruth. We have started looking at Naomi who is a prophetic picture of Israel. I managed to get myself muddled up and incorrectly referred to Ruth as a picture of Israel several times in this teaching, rather than Naomi. If you’re old like me you will understand. If you’re young – well, just be kind to an old man!
- 01 Introduction. The usual questions: who, what, where, when and why? And just what sort of approach will we take to this amazing little book?